Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Oh right....you fart.


Why do we have to be reminded we are all human?

Lately, all my energy has been spread thin.  I have to balance being a parent to two special needs girls, having my own medical needs, being in a new romantic relationship, and family commitments.  I have been very excited about my new romantic  partner, and especially excited to see what our future holds.  Who wouldn’t be after being classified ‘single’ for the past 5 years? 

Although I did not really ‘date’ long before I met my current partner, I had my share of bad dates.  I had previously considered writing a blog on the dating scene for awhile, but I thought people would think I was exaggerating.   No one would believe I dated a foreign trained doctor who was about 5’4 (I’m 5’7) and laughed like Woody Woodpecker.  Or that the majority of the conversations on the dates I went on, included some talk about the size of the man’s penis (how stimulating! No pun intended). How about the one guy who asked immediately all sorts of questions about my daughters (pervert)?  Did I mention the rapid speech guy yet?

So when I met the man I am with currently, I was very jaded. I was ready to quit dating altogether and attend as many ‘passion parties’ as I could.  Quite possibly, I could have the largest collection of vibrators known to woman!  I really had this idea there was little need for a man in my life. 

Regardless, I kept searching and, I admit, I found him online.  It was not on the well known “POF”, but another site I had just heard about.  He had written a very nice profile, which seemed intelligent, he had a degree, and worked in media.  I was intrigued.  He did not have the best picture (I think he knows that, so I am allowed to say it), but I was trying to see beyond physical appearances.

We chatted online for a few days, and it seemed to be going ok, so we met for coffee later in the week. I didn’t even tell anyone that I was going to meet someone new, as I had very low expectations. Our little mini date went well, we seemed to be able to hold a conversation and he was actually intelligent.  He didn’t even tell me the size of his penis!!!  There were no apparent mental health concerns either – no rapid speech, paranoia, unusual obsessions, etc.  Another bonus!

Needless to say, despite me trying to self sabotage myself in the beginning, it has blossomed into a wonderful little romance.  We are both ready for a serious relationship, and are very much aware of each other’s needs.  We are both respectful of each other and try to make the relationship fair and equal as much as possible. It has been an amazing experience, to be treated like how I should be treated by a man, something that has never happened before.  I am a very lucky woman.  





Today though, we reached a new level.  The passion has died down.  We are starting to realize we are both human, and it is going to take a lot of work to be in a relationship despite both of us being very committed to it.  No matter what, there will be problems.  It is kinda sad to me.  I said to him “I think we are over the honeymoon stage”, and he replied “yes I think so”.  Now the work begins.  We are on the the stage I like to call ‘I know you fart, have stinky feet, snore, and the way you chew your food annoys me’ stage.  In other words, the human stage.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment