Friday, June 22, 2012

She goes from wanting to build a fort to a full blown rage within a minute.  All kids have tantrums, but not like this; this is like the incredible hulk.

All I can do is zone out and not get emotionally involved. I pray for her to be kept safe, and think quickly as to where the laptop is, where the ipad is, and if there's anything within her reach that is breakable. Dove looks at me and returns to her book quietly.

45 minutes later I start to go upstairs to go to the washroom. At this point Sedona has calmed and is now just tired.  I glance in the kitchen to see a bowl of cheerios thrown on the ground, milk and all.  During one brief calm period of her rage, I offered the cheerios as a distraction and in hopes that maybe she's just out of it due to hunger.  Obviously that didn't work.

Up the stairs, over the shoes she has thrown everywhere.  In her bedroom, her mattress is off her bed and standing up against her dresser.  She has thrown the little toys left in her room all over.  I haven't checked the other rooms.

How do you discipline that?  She comes to me crying telling me "i feel so bad, i am sorry mom".  I believe it. I believe it was 100% uncontrollable for her.  Her eyes glaze over, she begins to hit her head with her fists, she screams, yells, swears.  It is like a seizure; you look in her eyes and you can't see 'her'.  Sedona is long gone and this monster has taken over.  When I have a seizure, I can see/hear my surroundings but cannot control my body.  In a way this must be what Sedona experiences.  Her 'animal brain" aka limbic system takes over and she's out of control.

My little girl is never 'happy'.  She is is sad,scared, tired, mad, or GIDDY.  There is never a time when she is just a happy little girl.  I think I provide a good life for her, one that a lot of little girls never get to experience. Her home life is safe, stable, kid centered, and is full of people who love her.  I don't remember ever feeling so bad so often as a little girl.  I remember being happy, content, a few periods when I might have been upset or mad, but that's it.  I lived a pretty stable life as well, that's how I know how to provide a stable life for my girls.

The child psychiatrist, who apparently has 11 years experience, told me "there is no pill to parent".  ARE YOU SERIOUS?  Does he really think I want to have my child on ANY medication if she did not need it?  I've been on medication for my epilepsy for 30 years, it's caused long term side effects.  I needed it though.  Does this man seriously think I haven't tried everything in my power to try to avoid going to see him?  Are these rages normal?  No they are not.  Do I want a child who has emotional outbursts? No thanks. I'd prefer an easygoing child, thank you very much!

My daughter has a serious mental health illness amongst other special needs.  So many parents are struggling to navigate this system of professionals trying to get help, and instead of accepting that the child has problems, they blame the parent.  Kids can have mental illness, they need early interventions to succeed in life.  They don't need professionals to deny the parent the fact that the child has issues, so the cycle of low self esteem continues, so that when they are 15 years old, they are suicidal.  Stop blaming kids' behaviours on bad parenting, and look at the reality of what is physically going on for the child.  Especially if you are a doctor!



No comments:

Post a Comment